Re: Stuck on old system can you feel my pain

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2004 15:43:45 -0800

"Ranting this one time" <rantaboutasystem_at_rantingonetimesorry.com> wrote in message news:<5LqdnZ3cl_lIcYPdRVn-jw_at_comcast.com>...
> Hello,
>

> Comrades, any experience like this, tips for connecting to old servers (post
> in server newsgroup for this reason) or tips in dealing w/the vendor?

What is their reason for not running 8 with compatability mode and RBO settings?

> I see know reason why they could not upgrade a version or two (they claim
> testing a sunsetted product), what works in the old version should work in
> the versions a few notches up. Do you agree?

Sometimes there are minor issues that become major simply because no one is allocated to fix them. Stupid things like using newly reserved words, being dependent on bugs that become fixed, using trick methods for accessing OCI or networking or strange languages, or being dependent on library routines that mutate or go away. Or maybe they lost the source :-O

> Thanks,
> Ranting Once

jg

--