3 Standby database settings questions

From: <76434.1353_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:01:45 GMT

Question:

I see this enable /defer statement in the documentation of the Oracle Standby server:

  1. Why should I add this " enable " statement in the ini file when it is already a default value? Or is it not? Does this "enable" statement has additional value?
  2. Same question for " optional " archiving. Do I have to put in "optional " if I never want to make use of mandatory?
  3. TNSNAMES. When configuring the TNSNAMES file of the primairy database while implementing the standby database: some examples makes use of the "Service name = " parameter instead of " SID = " Which one should I use. What is the difference? Thanks,