Re: Oracle For Fun

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:26:22 -0000

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0402010659.660882a8_at_posting.google.com... <snip>
> > But from my experience ... I've seen thousands of cases of none ...
> > never a case of too much. Your mileage may vary.
>
> Possibly. I find I tend to agree with Tom Kyte's take on exception
> handling, for example here:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:193925430 8449

I'm not sure that I find that my example breaks the advice given here. *My* reading of Tom's advice is to catch and handle errors using exception handling wherever possible and at the correct point in the code, and if you are going to use a 'when others' construct you need a 'raise'. Sure my error handler does nothing functional, it just reraises the error, but my coding style says think about what errors you may throw and handle them, everything else should get thrown back at the app (and the user gets a nasty error message). If I always have an exception section it makes it harder for me to forget to think about what might go wrong.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA