Re: The Denis Prize

From: <alcesteatxmissiondot_at_com.or.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:17:52 +0000 (UTC)

Howard:

        This is actually a pretty interesting challenge. Let me ask the following questions:

> mere insertion of a CD.

Can it be a one-liner install? Most don't have any kind of auto-run.

> Said install must work with all and any Linux
> distributions (it's all the same operating system, after all, isn't it?). It

Full install of current linux distributions? Full install of Oracle supported Linux distributions? Full install of any linux distribution not installed from source? I assume you mean _Intel_ linux?

> must be as automatic as the, cough, Windows install is. It must do
> everything right, and it must automatically give you the chance to say

Define "everything right." I assume you want the normal java-based Oracle installer, or do you forego that?

> whether or not you'd like a database, listener, agent and management server
> to automatically start at reboot. And it must make those things
> automatically re-start if you ask for them to. Multiple CDs are fine, but
> crappy install routines aren't.

Jer Smith Received on Sun Feb 01 2004 - 02:17:52 CST