Re: Service names vs. Oracle SIDs

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:09:38 +1100

"php newbie" <newtophp2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:124f428e.0401310345.5329696d_at_posting.google.com...
> I installed Oracle9i (v9.2) on Mandrake Linux9.2. At the moment the
> configuration is not complete, but I am reading the manuals and will
> fix it soon. (One thing is that only the Oracle user can log in to
> the database; no other users can; although I have made sure all their
> environment variables are exactly the same.)
>
> My question is that on Windows (again with Oracle 9i), I can log in to
> the database using the Oracle SID. But on Linux, it only accepts the
> service name (Global DB Name) for a connection. Is this some new
> behavior that is going to be standard from now on? Should I stop
> using the SIDs in my apps?

It's not actually true for a start. SIDs work just fine on Linux. If you used a supported Linux distro, it might help. If you read my papers on doing a Linux install at www.dizwell.com, it might help too.

It's not a new thing either. Service as opposed to SID was introduced in 8i, and yes -it's the new way of doing things, and you should get used to it. Fundamentally, there's no difference between a SID and a service in a single instance environment, but as things get more complex, then you will want to attach to the service, regardless of how many instances (SIDs) there are making up that service.

But both will work just fine, on whatever O/S, provided you've set things up correctly.

Regards
HJR

--
Oracle insights at www.dizwell.com