Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Stu Charlton <stuartc_at_mac.com>
Date: 30 Jan 2004 08:46:15 -0800

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<401a42f4$0$5224$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

Well, it seems Nuno jumped ahead 2 weeks to where the thread would probably wind up ;)

> This can of course be extended for even more modularity, but the gist of the
> principle is this. Keep the object handling in the middleware and the data
> storage specifics in the database.

That's pretty much the point. Thanks.

> And so on... The subject is quite extensive.

Very much so. O/R mapping has been evolving for over 10 years and it's only recently that you're starting to see a discipline emerging.

On the other hand, whenever I scratch a team re-inventing the wheel outside of the database, I find lurking underneath the classic "developer/DBA conflict", which is usually the fault of management for not properly defining roles and principles. This leads developers to use technical means to solve an IT management or interpersonal problem. Not to fault them of course, given the sorry state of 'management'.

Cheers
Stu Received on Fri Jan 30 2004 - 10:46:15 CST