Re: DB recreate script for 8i

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:34:57 -0600

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:31:12 -0800, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>Brian Peasland wrote:
>
>> Why not use export/import? Run export with ROWS=N and FULL=Y.
>
>It all comes down to what the OP meant by 'recreate a copy of existing
>8i database'. I perhaps, on reflection, took him a bit too literally.

When I read the op, I wondered if, by 'recreate a copy of existing 8i database' he meant to recreate the *database* (as in start witht the CREATE DATABASE command) or recreate all the *objects within* -- and possibly data -- a database. I took it to mean the former. Obviously those who responded with suggestions of using exp/imp took it to mean the latter.

Which serves as a warning to us all -- myself included -- that the terminology has precise (if not intuitive or rational) meanings and if we fail to say precisely what we mean, confusion reigns.

And that we should never assume the other guy is being precise in *his* usage.

"It all depends on what the meaning of 'is' is." Received on Fri Jan 30 2004 - 08:34:57 CST