Re: Multiple installation of the same version on one machine?

From: Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de>
Date: 30 Jan 2004 09:29:52 GMT

> On 29 Jan 2004 13:51:32 GMT, Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I know it sounds weird but a customer wishes that I install 8.1.7.4
>>again in a different directory of a Solaris 7 machine, both the binaries
>>and the data. He thinks that something went wrong when I upgraded from
>>8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.4.
>>
>>Where are the pitfalls?
>>
>>- Do I need a 2nd oratab and do I have to change that in the dbstart
>> procedure? I don't want the 2nd Oracle to change the 1st Oracle's data.
>>
>>- Should I use another OS userid for the 2nd Oracle? That would add some
>> extra security, so the 2nd Oracle could not get write access to the
>> 1st Oracle's datafiles.
>>
>>- Should I use a 2nd listener?
>>
>>- Other hints or pointers to docs?
>
> It is completely daft and a recipe for trouble.

I know. But the customer's developers insists in that.

> You can't have a second oratab, you'll need to change the sid of the
> database (and the database name), which is by the way quite easy

That's no problem. The new instance may have another name. It seems that I need more information about how oratab is processed. So maybe the "old" dbstart starts the new binaries if the ORACLE_HOME part in oratab's lines is different.

Any suggested readings.

> check out 'create controlfile set database '<database name>' in your
> documentation, there is also a note on Metalink which describes the
> procedure in detail.

Thanks for that. Received on Fri Jan 30 2004 - 03:29:52 CST