Re: V$DATABASE.resetlogs_change# = V$LOGS_HISTORY.thread# ???

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:38:51 +0100

On 29 Jan 2004 04:56:37 -0800, peck_at_tissoft.co.uk (paule) wrote:

>Hi,
>new to the group and relatively new to Oracle. So be nice.
>
>Can anyone tell me if the value held in the view, V$DATABASE, in
>field, resetlogs_change#, will always equate to the value held by the
>%t variable used in the init?????.ora files. (e.g.
>log_archive_format='%t_%s_alog.0001')
>
>Thanks

The resetlogs_change# number you see is a system change number. Every transaction has it's own SCN. The SCNs are stored in redolog files, each redolog file has it's own *sequence number* which is incremented at every log switch.
v$log_history.sequence# is reflected in the %s mask in log_archive_format.
Your resetlogs_change# is between first_change# and next_change# of v$log_history
look at
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76961/ch392.htm#5466

The thread number is completely unrelated. The concept of a thread applies to Oracle Parallel Server/RAC installations where you have multiple instances opening the same database. Each instance has it's own thread. This is the thread number you see reflected in the %t variable. The thread number is in v$log_history.thread# and in v$log

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA