Re: Effects of framentation

From: crumedgeon <zimsbait_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:56:48 -0500

The funny thing is people think of oracle attached to san the same as their pc with one drive and M$ disk defrag. Try to explain the SAME SAN config to these people (usually management) and the fact that, even with one extent on the SAN, you're on many disks with many controllers, and your "single scan, one read pass through" is actually hitting several different physical platters. It's actually enough to blow their minds.

But, they enjoy the pretty pictures (OEM Tablespace map) of one "contiguous" extent. Go figure.

<snip for bandwidth>