Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error on Win NT w/8i and 9i Databases

From: Brett Baloun <blbaloun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 07:46:52 -0800

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<4018397C.5ED27102_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> In your DOS window, type the following:
>
> set ORACLE_SID=sid
> set ORACLE_HOME=C:\directory_where_Oracle_was_installed
>
> Then try your SQL*Plus stuff.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Brett Baloun wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I receive an ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error when I try the
> > following:
> > sqlplus /nolog
> > conn / as sysdba
> >
> > I currently have 8i installed and working properly on the same
> > machine. I used DBCA to install the new 9i software. I am now trying
> > to connect to sqlplus so I can create the Database. I am using Remote
> > Administrator to work on the machine. I think I set all of the
> > correct parameters on the machine, but is there a document somewhere
> > to determine the specific parameters that are necessary?
> >
> > Any assistance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you - Brett
>
> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com
>
> Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
>

> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
> the three"

Hi Brian - Thank you for your assistance.

When I set those parameters:
set ORACLE_HOME=d:\oracle\products\9i
set ORACLE_SID=ed11tst

I still get the same error when:
sqlplus /nolog
conn / as sysdba
ORA-12560 I believe all the services are started correctly. However, I am working w/another DBA who is responsible for the startup - I am just trying to help her trouble shoot. That being said - please do not hesitate to mention something that you feel should be basic to Oracle installations.

Thank you - Brett Received on Thu Jan 29 2004 - 09:46:52 CST