Re: Lots of "log file sync" waits and nothing else on inserts and commits

From: Bobby Durrett <bdurrettccci_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 07:06:35 -0800

Thanks for your reply. What I'm doing is creating and inserting data into 14,000 tables. It makes up about a 5 gig database. 90% of the tables are empty. We commit every 30,000 records, which means really, once per table.

We are running on a Sun V880 running Solaris 8. All the things we are doing with inserts and such seem to run several times slower on our sun boxes than our nt boxes. I even ran an import on a laptop that ran twice as fast as the same function on the Sun servers.

We really think their is something whacked about our hardware or OS on our Sun boxes, since the same functions run so much faster under Windows.

Thanks again for your comments.