Re: Lots of "log file sync" waits and nothing else on inserts and commits

From: Bobby Durrett <bdurrettccci_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 06:59:02 -0800

Jonathan,

I realized this just after I posted it. Duh! But, the log file parallel waits are still much lower than the log file sync waits. During a 10 second period, 8.4 seconds were log file sync waits and 1.5 seconds were log file parallel write waits. So, what is the majority of my time spent on?

Here are my top five waits from statspack for a five minute period:

Top 5 Timed Events

% Total
Event                                               Waits    Time (s)
Ela Time
-------------------------------------------- ------------ -----------
--------
log file sync                                       1,490         237
  59.99
log file parallel write                             2,843          75
  19.03
CPU time                                                           42
  10.71
db file parallel write                                 35          31
   7.92
db file sequential read                               625           3
    .86

Thanks for your reply.