Re: Restoring Oracle Control Files

From: jiggaman <jiggamanrocks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 06:47:07 -0800

Howard,

Thanx for your detailed reply. Good thing to know that we are restoring the control files correctly. As far as the command I type to start the recovery it is

"restore database using backup controlfile until cancel"

the only reason i cut it in the post was since sybrand had mentioned the whole command in his post. Anyhow sorry for the confusion. You were right about all the files being restored. When restoring the backup I use the overwrite option so that would overwite any files in the database directory. however on taking a close examination of the directory structure where the files are being restored i found that some dbf's (SYSTEM01.dbf, USER01.dbf and INDX01.dbf to be precise) had date stamps which not the same as the one on the other files that had been restored. Dont know why that happens..but then i went into veritas and manully restored those files one by one. after that I try repeat the recovry procedure as i described in my last post but as soon as i try to run the first command to mount the db it gives me this error.

SVRMGR> startup mount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                        344438812 bytes
Fixed Size                                          75804 bytes
Variable Size                                   103976960 bytes
Database Buffers                                240308224 bytes
Redo Buffers                                        77824 bytes
ORA-01991: invalid password file
'D:\oracle\ora81E\DATABASE\PWDepitest.ORA'

as far as i know this error has something to do with the password file generated when the database is created. I had faced this error before quite some. if you think there is another reason this error message is coming please let me know. Meanwhile i am going to create a new database and then try both the backup and restore procedures on it and see if get the same ORA-01991 when i try to mount it.

TIA, Jiga