Physical layout of a DB in RAC environment

From: Roman Klesel <rupa_at_firemail.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:11:59 +0100

Dear DBAs,

from what I have learned one should keep things seperate in an produktive Oracle DB:

online redologs:
on 2 different dedicated physical disks (raid sets), groups swiching from one disk to another

archive logs:
on another dedicated disk (raid set)

datafiles for undo/redo TSP on RAID 1
datafiles for temp TSP on RAID 1

other dataflies on RAID 5

controlfiles 3 all on different physical disks.

Now I'm confronted with a setup where all data is stored in a T1 storage system which internally does a RAID 5. Everything in this storage is software mirrored in another T1.

Both RAC nodes use this storage system for all oracle relevant files redologs, archivelogs, controlfiles ...

Plus the shadow DB uses this storage system for all its files too.

Everything is connect through fiberchannel switches.

Is this insane? Or does it just look mad to me? Or is this the modern way of doing things?

Can you please comment on this!

Greetings Roman Received on Thu Jan 29 2004 - 08:11:59 CST