Re: Effects of framentation

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:55:07 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:govf10t8cir11qio2g0rr56qhjqkbb9kg6_at_4ax.com...
> On 28 Jan 2004 07:04:00 -0800, murat.balkas_at_o2.com.tr (Murat Balkas)
> wrote:
>
> > How can I do that? How can I prove that queries answer too slow
> >because of the fragmentation.
>
> Fragmentation has no impact on performance unless you are using full
> table scans all over the place.

Hi Sybrand

Unless you have a ridiculously small extent size, one smaller than your effective multiblock read, even "full tables scans all over the place" are not impacted by multiple extents.

I've just had (yet another) "disagreement" with an Oracle Support dude on a metalink forum who suggested that multiple extents are bad, one extent is optimal.

Whilst on Oracle Support, is it just me, or has the quality of advice and information from Oracle Support on their forums slumped to diabolical proportions ?

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu Jan 29 2004 - 05:55:07 CST