Re: Backups using storage system mirroring/splitting

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2004 17:36:35 -0800

Jurjen Oskam <joskam_at_quadpro.stupendous.org> wrote in message news:<slrnc1fi64.fa9.joskam_at_calvin.quadpro.stupendous.org>...

> This works, and the only question I have about this part is why the recover
> database command stops with the message "media recovery complete" after
> applying the appropriate online redolog file. I did say "until cancel" after
> all?

Because it looks at the SCN's in all the datafiles and in the control file, and if you can get them to match, you have completely recovered.

> However, this doesn't work. I can apply the files, but it won't say "media
> recovery complete". Also, if I cancel the recovery and try to open the
> database (with resetlogs), it says that datafile #1 needs more recovery.
>
> I don't understand why applying the online redologs from system B *does*
> work, but applying the archived logs does *not* work.

Datafile #1 is your system file, right? The SCN's in there will not be able to match the ones in your controlfile, because the current online log has gotten ahead of where they should be, so there will always be a gap. Or something like that, hard to follow hacks like this. Try looking at your alert logs and v$log_history. Try rman before and after and watch it barf too, do a list backup of archivelog.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/wed/business/news_1b28fraud.html