Re: Space Usage Question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:58:21 GMT

> The tablespace has an autoallocate statement on it as well

This is the answer. When you create a LMT, you have two options, UNIFORM extent sizes, or let Oracle AUTOALLOCATE extent sizes for you. With AUTOALLOCATE, your extent sizes are typically 64K, 1MB, or 8MB (there are situations where you can get other extent sizes, but that can muddy up the conversation). The basic way it works is that Oracle initially allocates a 64K extent. After you've allocated a number of 64K extents, Oracle figures your table will be large so it starts allocating 1MB extents. After you've allocated a number of 1MB extents, Oracle figures your table will be really large, so it starts allocating 8MB extents. With AUTOALLOCATE, you are not necessarily going to get 64K extents across the board. If you really want to know how big your extents are for this object, query DBA_EXTENTS.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com