Re: Oracle For Fun

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 27 Jan 2004 21:12:14 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote

> This is what I was looking for. But on every machine we had in the lab
> it routinely kicked out 500%+ improvement. Must confess I felt a bit
> foolish when Cris pointed out the obvious that I had verbally excluded
> from what I did in the class but forgot to write up.

Never mind Daniel. When I read your posting, I immediately knew what you were after... :-)

BTW, my personal Oracle test db I used to test this code on, sits on a USB2 IDE harddisk drive. So i/o performance is not what it should be. ;-)

> Now what percentage of the code in the real world is written this way?
> Based on studies ... less than 10%.

Yep, which is a pity. I've been trying to get the developers here to start using PL/SQL this way, but it is a struggle. Hell, just getting them to understand Oracle concepts is difficult, never mind throwing OO and set operation features at them.

--
Billy