Re: How to determine the sessions parameter in the pfile

From: Douglas Hawthorne <DouglasHawthorne_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 01:36:12 GMT

Walt,

Are you using dedicated or shared servers on the Oracle instance?

From the sounds of it, your problem seems to a be a case of using dedicated servers for the connections from your webserver farm. This is indicated by your CPU load being not stressed when you have a high number of connections to the database. Each dedicated server consumes one process per connection even though there is now work going on. With the shared servers option active, each shared server process is shared between multiple connections depending on the workload.

If that is the case, I would suggest implementing shared servers on your Oracle instance.

I would investigate shared servers before trying to estimate number of processes to run on an instance. I have found the Oracle default to a good value.

Douglas Hawthorne