Re: Restoring Oracle Control Files

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:37:50 +0100

On 27 Jan 2004 12:22:11 -0800, jiggamanrocks_at_yahoo.com (jiggaman) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am using Veritas Backup Exec For Windows Server V 9.0 and am trying
>to restore a previously backed up database. All the Tablespaces, redo
>logs and archive logs are restored fine. however the 3 control files
>that were backed up were restored as one file "BECF<SID>.BAK". Now
>according to the veritas manual once i have the .BAK file I am suppose
>to refer to the "Restore Section - Loss on Non Mirrored Control Files"
>in the oracle Administrators guide. However the Oracle Administrators
>guide has no such section. it has a few things on recovery which is
>using RMAN. however i dont know how to convert this .bak file that i
>have into a .CTL file. also when i did a backup of the database there
>were 3 control files and when i restore it there is only 1 which is
>called becf<sid>.bak. what is the procedure i need to follow to get
>this control file in place so that i can recreate this database. Any
>and all help will be hight appreciated.
>
>thanx in advance.
>
>Jiga

Likely this is a proper *binary* control file, with only the file name extention changed.
Hence the only thing you need to do is to copy that file to the original locations (and yes, consequently you need to copy that one file to 3 different files).
Then you need to
recover database using backup controlfile until cancel followed by
alter database open resetlogs

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA