Re: Load balancing between an RAC database cluster and Top Link

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:31:22 -0800

Andrey wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Andrey wrote:
>>

>>>Dear Greg! Excuse me my ignorance, but what epochal project do you work

> for?
>
>>>Configuration you describe seems to me very expensive and hard to

> deploy.
>
>>>Even without possible problems with JDBC and all this Java stuff, such a
>>>monumental design (3 db, 4 app servers !) strucks me as overcomplicated.

> Do
>
>>>you setting up some cross-continental Internet banking solution? Or will

> you
>
>>>introduce some sort of ASP to be offered to us, humble users?
>>
>>Sorry Andrey ... but exactly where do you work and doing what? Your
>>comments seem to come from the standpoint of having had little or no
>>experience with 7x24 high availability operations. There is nothing at
>>all difficult to deploy about what Greg wrote. It is a pretty common
>>architecture.

> Daniel, Brian Peasland admits that this is not really cheap solution, so I'm
> totally lost. I will wonder if you or Sybrand will not tell that this is
> DIFFICULT to deploy if someone will ask "is it difficult?".

Brian is correct. I didn't say anything about 'cheap' I said 'nothing at alldifficult to deploy'. Perhaps you are lost because you didn't read what I wrote.

It is all right above the paragraph your wrote. I trust you know the difference between cost and difficulty. As I asked above and which you didn't answer ... what is your actual level of expertise in HA? My assumption from your lack of response is that it is minimal.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)