ORA-06413 when calling from a Windows service

From: Fredric Sanabria <frsaa_at_wmdata.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2004 03:10:23 -0800

This is not a question but a warning.

Scenario:
A Windows Service call a method in an assembly which connects to Oracle db.

Problem 1:
When filename of service executable contains an extra dot ORA-06413 is thrown. The file was called Project.UpdateService.exe When I renamed it to ProjectUpdateService.exe no exeception i thrown.

Problem 2:
On my development server the exception is still thrown when executable is in folder with "illegal" path: "E:\My Documents\My Webs\Project(port 81)\bin". I don't know if it is the blank space or the parentheses that causes the exception, but I guess the latter. When I place the executable in "E:\Services", no exception is thrown.

Odd:
The assembly which connects to Oracle db is named Project.Facade.dll. The second dot in this filename does not cause an exception. The assembly is connecting fine when called by a Windows form or aspnet_wp.exe or renamed service-exe. And it's located in the folder with the "illegal" path mentioned above on my development server. I have no idea why the ORA-06413 exception is thrown only when called from the Service. I identified two main differences: 1. The service is run under a local system account 2. The dll is a strongly namned assembly while the service dll is not. Received on Tue Jan 27 2004 - 05:10:23 CST