Re: Oracle Corp. as Employer

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 15:21:12 -0800

"James Taylor" <tohpn_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Yl%Qb.1364$mf4.264915_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Hi,
> I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this question.... But
> I'll take my chance anyway.
>
> For those who have worked at Oracle Corp (or know someone).... I would like
> to have your comments/feedbacks on Oracle Corp as an employer, working
> environment, benefits, etc. Precisely, I am in the area of Montreal.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> James

I've seen some Oracle organizations, not anywhere near Montreal, where those who excel in a competitive, even backstabbing, environment do well, and others are unhappy. But even the unhappy ones wind up in better situations than if they had not been there, simply because it is on the resume.

I've seen some stress come from Oracle _requiring_ training while customer is _demanding_ work product.

I've seen entire groups leave Oracle in favor of other companies, to do the same work for the same customer.

I've seen people work for Oracle in a revolving-door manner.

I've seen people make big money with options.

I've seen people get training worth tens of thousands of dollars.

All-in-all, I'd advise most anyone to work there given the opportunity. Worst-case, you won't like it and leave. (Well, there may be some worse cases than that, but given the size of Oracle, it's pretty rare.) I'd like to work there, although I can't imagine them maintaining parity with my current situation. I personally wouldn't take too big a step _down_ to work there.

And lastly, one person's hellhole can be another's low hanging fruit.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.bigdogmotorcycles.com/