Re: 9iAS/10gAS infrastructure.

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:23:12 GMT

"Ana C. Dent" wrote:

> I might get flamed for saying this, but here it goes anyways.
> SSO is NOT required to reside in the same database as the 9iAS
> "Infrastructure" data. AFAIK, SSO/LDAP can reside in a vanilla
> replicated DB; which can be made HA with some (moderate?) effort.

Shouldn't get flamed for that - it's in the docco (and in Oracle's 9iAS Basic Admin course).

Infrastructure is used for
- DCM repository in a clustered/islanded environment

and may be used for

- OiD (Oracle's LDAP)
- SSO
- OEM repository (this is OEM 4)

> For discussion purposes, I break the 9iAS R2 into two basic
> componentents; 1) Infrastructure 2) Non-Infrastructure (NI).
> While Oracle make it challenging to create an HA Infrastructure,
> it is not a showstopper. Based upon some actual tests, it does not
> appear to me that the Infrastucture is required to keep the NI
> parts in operation. If/when the NI parts are up & operational,
> the Infrastructure can be taken down ( or crash)) WITHOUT any
> impact in the NI parts. The limitation is that you can't add
> or change NI components while the Infrastructure is down. So
> it seems that the Oracle middle tier can stay hightly available
> if you are willing to tap dance on a tight rope without a safety net.

True.

The 9iAS basic HA comes from the OPMs being able to communicate with each other. The only thing the infrastructure is needed for is the metadata repository that is referenced only when the DCMs need to talk/sync (under directive form the OPMs).

All else can be placed in any 9i database that can be HA'd.

/Hans Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 16:23:12 CST