Re: Oracle Table Spanning

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:54:00 -0800

Anton Dischner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you can have several hundred million rows without problems.
>
> I run such tables.

Even several hundred million rows is small these days. 1TB is not unusual.

> Make shure your indexes are well chosen.
>
> a date column is very helpful.
>
> statemants like:
>
> select ... where mydate between '1.1.2004' and '31.1.2004'

Especially is range partitioning.

> for fast handling, creating a smaller extract of your table and using
> this is often a faster solution.

I think these care called materialized views.

> With other words: Use partitioning only where absolut necessary.
> I strongly believe you do not have to use partitioning.

I strongly believe you have little or no experience with partitioning. The only downside is the cost, to Oracle, for the licensing. And if you have that much data ... the money isn't a significant hurdle.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu