Re: Recovery catalog version compatibility

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 06:14:18 -0800

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:<cci8101frmv49igtud7mp54f9ocmfa1qp6_at_4ax.com>...
> I used to run a recovery catalog for rman backups of two different
> databases (all Oracle Software 8.1.7 / Solaris 7). Now, one of the
> target databases was upgraded to 9.2.0.4 and can't be saved any more.
> It will take some time to upgrade the other one.
>
> What is the proper overall upgrade strategy in this situation
> concerning rman jobs?
>
> I could upgrade the catalog DB, or the catalog itself only (?), or
> both, but then I am afraid to have the same situation the other way
> around: The first DB (9i) will be saved with rman, but the second (8i)
> won't.
>
> I have read about rman, but only found explanations concerning a
> standard situation, which this is not.
>
> Any hint or link to appropriate literature will be appreciated.
>
> Rick Denoire

I was just reading about this a week and a half ago on metalinks. If I remember correctly, what is supported is your Catalog db should be 9.2 and is suppose to be backwards compatible to 8.1.7. Check out metalinks to be sure.

HTH,
Pete's
The opinions here are mine and not that of my employer. Any advice used is at your own risk. Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 08:14:18 CST