Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Stu Charlton <stuartc_at_mac.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 05:34:18 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1075098515.457142_at_yasure>...
> Joe Weinstein wrote:
>
> > Sure! *I* tend to council against complete DBMS independence. This is not
> > for love or preference for a given DBMS product, but in acknowledgement
> > that a significant portion of the DBMSes capabilities are presented in a
> > proprietary way.
>
> What you are counselling is that people write some of the worst possible
> code and NOT take advantage of those features and capabilities that make
> a product worth the money.

Is it just me or is this the second time someone from c.d.o.s has misquoted Joe?

Read the quote again: "I tend to council *against* complete DBMS independence."

To me that says "you should use the features of the DBMS you have". Which is consistent with Joe's argument: not everything should be done in middleware, not everything should be done in the database. No data that isn't needed by a client application's display should be transferred over the wire.

There's a real knee-jerk quality to this thread. I suggest reading google groups history for Joe Weinstein, he's pretty much had this position for the past 6+ years I've seen him posting. Not all J2EE types hate the DBMS (I fight the "let's rebuild the database ourselves" line of reasoning regularily).

Cheers
Stu Received on Mon Jan 26 2004 - 07:34:18 CST