Re: HELP! migrating from NT to UNIX

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:21:28 -0800

Andrey wrote:
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Andrey wrote:
>>

>>>Dear Sybrand! Questioner does not ask you to help him to keep his job.

> His
>
>>>question was how to migrate database. He must act corresponding to

> Oracle
>
>>>documentation, as well as sufficient number of internet resources about

> this
>
>>>topic. You tragic "fail miserable" makes me wonder if you really tries

>>>help him or simple dramatizing situation.
>>
>>Sybrand understood the OP and his advice was good. The OP needs to
>>apologize and hand in his resignation. Taking a job for which you are
>>totally unqualified is an ethical lapse ... not an opportunity.
>>
>>Anyone offering advice to the OP is a fool, or worse, as the question
>>asked is the subject of a book ... not a few quick paragraphs in a
>>usenet group. The OP's question could be easily rephrased as "I just got
>>a job as Head of Thoracic Surgery at the Mayo Clinic based on my
>>personality ... please tell me how to remove a malignant tumor."

> You comparison is not appropriate, since installing Oracle on any operating
> system itself can not harm anybody's health. You like Sybrand simply want to
> make some fuss about subject.

Four major companies that used to be in the World Trade Center are out of business. Bankrupt. Gone. Not just because of the 9/11 tragedy but specifically because they lost their corporate data.

Perhaps the OP's migration won't kill anyone. Perhaps it is not a database belonging to an engineering company, a hospital, an intelligence agency, or whatever.

Apparently the fact that the OP was unethical is unimportant to you. Apparently the fact that he might make an extremely expensive mess and cost people their jobs isn't important to you. Apparently if some other person with a "great personality" did it to you or a member of your family you wouldn't mind. Well if so why are you criticizing us? Why aren't you posting the solution to the OP's question?

My suspicion ... if you actually knew enough to help the OP ... you'd also know enough to not do so in this situation.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)