Re: HELP! migrating from NT to UNIX

From: Logan Byrne <lbyrne90_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:03:48 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1074958364.917265_at_yasure...
> Andrey wrote:
>
> > Dear Sybrand! Questioner does not ask you to help him to keep his job.
His
> > question was how to migrate database. He must act corresponding to
Oracle
> > documentation, as well as sufficient number of internet resources about
this
> > topic. You tragic "fail miserable" makes me wonder if you really tries
> > help him or simple dramatizing situation.
>
> Sybrand understood the OP and his advice was good. The OP needs to
> apologize and hand in his resignation. Taking a job for which you are
> totally unqualified is an ethical lapse ... not an opportunity.
>
> Anyone offering advice to the OP is a fool, or worse, as the question
> asked is the subject of a book ... not a few quick paragraphs in a
> usenet group. The OP's question could be easily rephrased as "I just got
> a job as Head of Thoracic Surgery at the Mayo Clinic based on my
> personality ... please tell me how to remove a malignant tumor."
>
> Being helpful sometimes means saying "No".
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Thanks everybody,
I fully intend to let this one go and RTFMs until I've got more than a conceptual understanding. Yes Dan, knowing how Thoracic Surgery works *in theory* won't save lives in the OR.

On that note, let me rephrase my question: Does anyone know some good DB migration books out there?

L Received on Sat Jan 24 2004 - 14:03:48 CST