Re: FAILED TO START LISTENER (path correction)

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2004 07:44:17 -0800

"Andrey" <adm_at_mlm.ru> wrote in message news:<butehu$74o$1_at_gavrilo.mtu.ru>...

> If it is on Windows 2003, it is permissions denial problem for sure. On
> Windows2003 there is very strict file system permissions by default. To
> correct this, set "Full control for everyone" on Oracle directory at
> filesystem. After listener starts, experiment with permission to make Oracle
> working and sufficiently protected at the same time.

I believe that your diagnosis that the issue is related to filesystem permissions is correct.

I believe that your opinion on the permissions being "very strict" is wrong.
The default permissions are proper, and one has to make a few changes for non-default functionaliy of the server.

If you properly configure the filesystem permissions using local groups for ownership, (ORA_INSTALL for software, ORA_DBA for database and service ownership) you'll achieve the desired functionality while not using FULL CONTROL EVERYONE. What a giant step backwards you are proposing.

You lost all credibility with me as soon as you suggested that.

Pd