Re: Fuzzy search

From: Simon Sheppard <simon_at_spam.invalid>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:20:57 GMT

On 23 Jan 2004 07:41:29 GMT, Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch> wrote:

>> They want to be able to retrieve the record if the type in any of the following:
>>
>> A. B. Corp
>> A.B. Corp
>> AB Corp
>> A.B Corp, etc.
>>
>> I currently use SPs to retrieve the records from a VB program. Is there something I could add to the SP to provide this
>> functionality without severely effecting performance?
>
>Al Reid,
>
>I had a similar problem (although not exactly the same) with searching
>for german names. To solve it, I have written a function for fuzzy
>searching. You find it on my homepage: at
>http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/plsql/fuzzy_search.html
>
>hth
>Rene

Another approach to this, that doesn't involve hard coding any values is available via the package owa_pattern

From
http://www.stormloader.com/yonghuang/computer/OracleRegExp.html

e.g. The regular expression string
matches zero or all characters (signified by the dot and *) in a given string up to and including a space, followed by 3 digits (three \d) and any one of !, . or ,.
The characters in the brackets [] are a character class, meaning any one of the enclosed characters.

-
Simon Sheppard
http://www.ss64.com