Re: JDBC thin driver TCP TIME_WAIT on ORACLE 8.1.7.2.1 (win2k server)

From: makbo <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:28:22 GMT

Hendrik van Run wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running IBM's WebSphere Application Server on several servers.
> They all use the same Oracle 8.1.7.2.1 database; the WebSphere servers
> have a Oracle 8.1.7.2.1 client installed but use the JDBC thin driver
> to connect to the database.
>
> We are running in a production environment; since using WebSphere, we
> see an enormous amount of TCP TIME_WAIT connections using netstat on
> the Oracle server. Most of them (around 800) are of the following form
> (wolnlztmpor01 is a WebSphere server, wolnlztmora01 is our database
> server and 1521 is its listener port):
>
> TCP wolnlztmora01:1521 WOLNLZTMPOR01:1741 TIME_WAIT

[...]
> Regards,
> Hendrik

What is the actual problem? If I recall correctly, TIME_WAIT-state socket connections are a normal part of the protocol, and are rarely a cause for concern.

You say "since using WebSphere", does this mean you were using JDBC thin client before Websphere and not having this problem?

Does your WebSphere have a setting that controls whether and how often it tests each of the connections in its JDBC connection pool? Try adjusting this. Check the initial connection timestamp of the database sessions from WebSphere into the instance (should be the same as the creation of the pool).

Look in your listener.log file for jdbc thin client connections, calculate the rate per minute and see if it looks unreasonable for your application.

As previously stated, contact Oracle support or, better yet, IBM support if this is an urgent production issue.

--Mark Bole Received on Fri Jan 23 2004 - 19:28:22 CST