Re: 10g News

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: 23 Jan 2004 17:52:11 -0500

On 2004-01-23, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> Shiny happy user interfaces don't lower the cost of ownership.
>> Typically, they make automation difficult or impossible.
>> Sysadmins (of any sort) aren't secretaries and they tend not to
>> use systems as such.
>
> They can if used appropriately.

...and if nothing else that the CIO has bought into conflicts with the tool. I can see some of Oracle's latests attempts a emulating Microsoft being moot anyways.

The automated storage manager sounds postively JBOD.

> And those that don't figure it out may soon be saying "Do you want fries
> with that?"
>
> What CIO, knowing the power being put into DBAs hands is going to stand
> for someone saying they need a week to reconfigure the disk array? Fewer
> and fewer that is for sure.

You're addressing the wrong audience with such hyperbole. DBA's typically don't hold the keys to that particular fiefdom.

--
There's no reason not to contribute to the stone soup if those    |||
contributions are not critical to your competitive edge.         / | \