Re: JDBC thin driver TCP TIME_WAIT on ORACLE 8.1.7.2.1 (win2k server)

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:11:17 +0100

On 23 Jan 2004 03:16:04 -0800, run_at_phys.uu.nl (Hendrik van Run) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are running IBM's WebSphere Application Server on several servers.
>They all use the same Oracle 8.1.7.2.1 database; the WebSphere servers
>have a Oracle 8.1.7.2.1 client installed but use the JDBC thin driver
>to connect to the database.
>
>We are running in a production environment; since using WebSphere, we
>see an enormous amount of TCP TIME_WAIT connections using netstat on
>the Oracle server. Most of them (around 800) are of the following form
>(wolnlztmpor01 is a WebSphere server, wolnlztmora01 is our database
>server and 1521 is its listener port):
>
>TCP wolnlztmora01:1521 WOLNLZTMPOR01:1741 TIME_WAIT
>
>We also see around 80 TCP connections like this (x and y are both
>ports>1024):
>
>TCP 127.0.0.1:x 127.0.0.1:y TIME_WAIT
>
>Closing all connections from the WebSphere server by stopping the java
>processes (and hence all JDBC connections) does not change anything.
>
>I have been studying some material on this topic, from which I
>conclude that on win2k server these TIME_WAIT connections should cease
>to exist after 240 seconds (configurable through
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpTimedWaitDelay).
>Does it make sense to use a lower value here (60 seconds for example)?
>
>I also see people who recommend to stop the ORACLE listener process on
>a regular basis and clean up some ORACLE logs on the filesystem.
>
>Perhaps this is a known problem... is there a patch available?
>
>Please help, we are facing a deadline here.
>
>Regards,
>Hendrik

First question: why do you think connections from the local loopback connector to the local loopback connector are an *Oracle* problem? Secondly: which people recommend to stop the listener on a regular basis. I have never seen such a recommendation in 14 years, and I am not doing this myself. Also: the log files will be recreated automatically when you move them, no need to stop the listener for that

So: NO this is not a known problem, and you didn't provide any reason to believe it is a listener problem, because the 1521 port is not involved on either side of the connection. Consequently without

a) the tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and sqlnet.ora
b) sqlnet traces
c) a crystal ball

there is no reason to believe it is Oracle. Apart from that, if you are facing a deadline, involve Oracle support. This is a volunteer forum.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA