Re: Starting Oracle Service/Instance

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2004 22:53:01 -0800

vleandr_at_nai.com (Virginia) wrote in message news:<84c080d3.0401221525.5729705c_at_posting.google.com>...
> Platform: Windows 2000
> Oracle 8i and Oracle 9i are installed on the same machine. Oracle 9i
> is the HOME.
>
> I upgraded (using the Database Upgrade Assistant) a database from
> 8.1.7 to 9.2.
>
> The Windows service (OracleService<SID>) starts fine wtih no errors.
> However, I cannot connect to the database. It seems that the database
> has to be started manually! I have to log into Oracle via SQLPLUS
> /nolog. I then connect as SYSDBA and issue the STARTUP command and
> the database starts right up with no problems.
>
> I've tried using ORADIM to have the database mount and open
> automatically when the Windows Service is started. This didn't seem
> to have any effect.
>
> Any ideas? I've spent much of today looking on google, metalink, and
> the Oracle documentation and can't seem to get pointed in the right
> direction!
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Virginia
>
> PLEASE NO SPAM
speaking of pointing, does the registry entry for

ORA_%ORACLE_SID%_PFILE = <path to pfile>

is there a pseudo-link from

%ORACLE_HOME\database\init%ORACLE_SID%.ora containing:

IFILE=%ORACLE_BASE%\admin\%ORACLE_SID%\pfile\init%ORACLE_SID%.ora

or are you using an spfile?

If the spfile or pfile cannot be located during instance startup, the instance won't startup.

Pd Received on Fri Jan 23 2004 - 00:53:01 CST