Re: 10g News

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:48:17 -0800

David Williams wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>The things that DBAs should be paying attention to, very close
>>attention, is ASM and ADDM. DBAs that don't learn these will do so at

> Sorry, I have not had access to 10g...what are ASM and ADDM?

I have to be careful here but:

ASM is Automated Storage Management ... it completely automates, at the push of a button the creation of logical volumes, file systems & file names. You feed it raw disks and it does the rest. Add more disks and it will not only manage it but balance the I/O load from the existing disk to include the new ones. No need to create more datafiles. No need to perform any manual work. The I/O is managed by evenly distributing the data across 1MB blocks within a disk group. It also handles all of the disk mirroring too and allows for the creation of mirror groups and failure groups and is certified for both NAS and SAN.

ADDM is Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor and it provides session level diagnostics. Time to put away all of those scripts loaded with anonymous blocks linking every v_$ magic view you can spell.

10g, as I recall, has 149 new features and among those that should generate tremendous interest are the model command and what has been done with Transportable Tablespaces. More about this I am not at liberty to say as this is all I have seen disclosed publicly and I am as careful as I can be not to violate the NDA.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)