Re: Storing complete table rows in a single field

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:36:41 -0800

Captain Cabbage wrote:

> I need to be able to store complete rows retrieved from various tables
> (SELECT * ...) as a single field in another table. Basically I need to
> keep a record of every change made to various tables, like an audit
> trail, but I need the entire record not just the changes.
> I can do this in SQL Server but now I need to port it to Oracle.
> I get the feeling that Object Tables and %ROWTYPE comes into it
> somewhere but I can't quite get it all to work together.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ken

Unless you are being paid to reinvent the wheel there are numerous strategies and solutions available. Have you explored AUDIT? Have you explore LOG MINER? Have you explored Workspace Manager?

You have not provided enough information to make a specific recommendation, heck you didn't even include a version number, but Object Tables and %ROWTYPE are irrelevant.

I'd suggest you find someone that really knows Oracle to help you.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu