Re: Fuzzy search

From: Al Reid <areidjr_at_nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:25:00 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1074784505.698129_at_yasure...
> Al Reid wrote:
>
> > First, I have Oracle 8.1.7.
> >
> > My "customer" has requested that they be able to retrieve only the correct records from the database where they do not know
exactly
> > how the data was entered. The are referring to it as a fuzzy search.
> >
> > For example, the want to retrieve info from a customer database by customer name. The entry in the database is 'A B C Corp'
> >
> > They want to be able to retrieve the record if the type in any of the following:
> >
> > A. B. Corp
> > A.B. Corp
> > AB Corp
> > A.B Corp, etc.
> >
> > I currently use SPs to retrieve the records from a VB program. Is there something I could add to the SP to provide this
> > functionality without severely effecting performance?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Al Reid
>
> SELECT ...
> FROM ...
> WHERE some_column LIKE 'A%B%Corp%';

Would that not then return a record for Customer Name = 'Allen Bradley Corporation' in addition? If so, it is not selective or fuzzy enough.

Is the customer making an unreasonable request?

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so."  --- Mark Twain