Re: Many Small Oracle Databases

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:14:26 GMT

Charles wrote:

> All,
>
> I manage Oracle/UNIX and MS-SQL Server databases in a large company.
>
> For smaller databases (100MB - 10GB) I always give the developer a SQL
> Server database since it it very quick and easy to create on a shared
> SQL Server that already has many other databases on it. The Oracle
> databases are mostly very large SAP instances.
>
> But today I was challenged to give a reason why I do not give out lots
> of small Oracle/UNIX databases. I am formulating a business strategy
> for choosing the DBMS to use for apps.
>
> I am asking what other DBAs are doing?
>
> Are you creating individuals Oracle SIDs for all kinds of small
> databases for deparmental apps?
>
> Do you have one large-ish Oracle SID that you create multiple schemas
> in for each "separate" database request that you get?
>
> I'd sure appreciate hearing how DBAs working in a large enterprise
> handle this.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Charles

Please define DATABASE.

An Oracle schema tends to be synonymous with the term 'database' from other vendors. Each Oracle database-instance has considerable overhead in terms of memory and CPU cycles.

I'd consider it a waste of corporate funds (and totally irresponsible by a DBA and DB management) to hand out many small database-instances. It is cost effective, however, to hand out many schemas.

So - YES, I hand out schemas for each "separate" database request. Unless there is a good justification otherwise.

/Hans Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 09:14:26 CST