Fuzzy search

From: Al Reid <areidjr_at_nospamhotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:35:54 -0500

First, I have Oracle 8.1.7.

My "customer" has requested that they be able to retrieve only the correct records from the database where they do not know exactly how the data was entered. The are referring to it as a fuzzy search.

For example, the want to retrieve info from a customer database by customer name. The entry in the database is 'A B C Corp'

They want to be able to retrieve the record if the type in any of the following:

  1. B. Corp A.B. Corp AB Corp A.B Corp, etc.

I currently use SPs to retrieve the records from a VB program. Is there something I could add to the SP to provide this functionality without severely effecting performance?

Thanks.

--
Al Reid