Re: Hmmm, it's starting....

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2004 20:20:36 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074726756.616127_at_yasure>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0401211102.415b15ff_at_posting.google.com>...

> >>Well, I start the project tomorrow, and if it is available tomorrow, I
> >>use it, if not, I'm not a big fan of adding a major version upgrade in
> >>the middle of a project, even a project that is amenable to the latest
> >>and greatest. I expect the W2K version won't be the first out the
> >>gate, anyways. Still wish I had some solid evidence Linux is better
> >>(although I faithfully believe it is).
> >

> > My mood is going south. What must one think of a certification matrix
> > that says 10G AS is certified for Windows, but there is no cd
> > available and no download available????
> >
> > See metalink Note: 492154.996 for a good laugh (or cry, as my case may
> > be).
> >
> > COME ON ORACLE, GET IT TOGETHER!
> >
> > Wonders what they'll answer in my iTar.
> >
> > "Oh yeah, it's certified, we're just working out some last minute
> > bugs. It should be out around March or so."
> >
> > So I'm stuck with the 9iR2 "research project" yet again <sigh>.
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > That's what I get for depending on some @^%#$%@!% compatibility matrix
> > published on official Oracle websites.
>
> If it makes you feel any better. 10g looks as stable as a rock to me ...
> at least with respect to the functionality I signed up to test. But I
> still wouldn't think of deploying it for a patch or two.
>
> Go with 9iR2 for now, implement 10g when it is available in a
> development or test environment and make sure it is as good as it seems.
> It is, after all, the prudent thing to do.

10g for lin32 was supposed to be released at the Oracle / Linux Installfest this evening at LinuxWorldExpo at Javitts Convention Center.
Instead Oracle provided 9i R2 CDs.
RedHat provided RH WS 3.0 install media. SuSE provided SuSE Linux ES and Standard Edition CD sets. Oracle provided free food and free beer. An install of 9i RAC on firewire was accomplished, as well as many Oracle/linux laptops.

Mladen, you should have been there. I did not hear the final count of windows OSes that were replaced by either RedHat or SuSE, but there were conversions.

I can't wait to config a dual boot lin32/lin64 on an AMD Opteron, each with 9.2.0.x. Also, Intel may have developer hardware available for Linux/Itanium II testing for as little as $500 (USD).

You have to check out the Pogo Linux servers. 16 drives mounted as serial ATA internally, dual Xeon MP, 4 GB memory in the $13K range. j h tap dancing c, I have seen the light.

free admission
7 t-shirts
5 linux distros
1 oracle blanket
3 free beers
bag of magazines
awesome

Pd Received on Wed Jan 21 2004 - 22:20:36 CST