Re: Daniel morgan and other DBA's ur advice on oracle carrier path

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:24:38 -0800

Comments in-line.

makbo wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>> I have too. The last time that happened I built a Sun E450 from
>> scratch and I can tell you for a fact they were ill served having me
>> take a week to do what a good SA could have done in one day.
>>

> Or, you might say they were well-served in the long run, because they
> now had one person with the knowledge and experience to meet business
> needs that previously required two people!

I was an outside consultant, not an employee. They lost both ways.

> I have been a both a Unix sysadmin and an Oracle DBA for well over a
> decade, and I would say the skill set for success in either area is the
> same. A successful DBA can be a successful sysadmin, and vice versa, if
> the desire is there.

But the depth of knowledge to be good at both precludes it except with a few very exceptional individuals. It is hard enough to be an expert on Oracle much less adding Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, and Linux to the mix.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu