Re: Data block and buffer busy quite high, suggestions?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:08:45 GMT

> Thanks in advance for all hints, pointers or suggestions to why my "data
> block" wait count is so large.

Doesn't this kind of beg the question? Why does this number have to be "large"? And are your sure that this number is "large" for your environment? It may be that this number is small for your environment.

In a similar line of questioning... It's obvious that you've got a performance problem. But why does your performance problem have to be the data block waits or the buffer busy waits? What led you down the road as these being the culprits? Are you sure that it isn't something else?

The track that I would take would be to try to isolate the exact part of the application that is experiencing the problem. Then, take a look at exactly what that part of the application is trying to do along with what that part of the application is spending its time waiting for. This typically means a 10046 trace, level 8 or 12. You may find that the application is waiting on the 'buffer busy waits' event. Or, you may find that it is something else, in which case, this exercise (thread) isn't helping your problem. But unless you look at the problem spot in isolation, you could be clouding the issue with extraneous data that is not directly contributing to your end user's pain.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com