Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middle tier

From: BarryNL <barry_at_nospam.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:35:15 +0100

Noons wrote:
> danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com (Daniel Roy) wrote in message news:<3722db.0401191316.646fd135_at_posting.google.com>...
>

> IMHO, business-rules code should reside in the middle tier. That is
> by far the most scalable solution. But ANY code that deals with data
> and its storage mechanism MUST reside on the db. How to make the two
> talk? That is the province of object-relational mapping design and
> database design.
> The rules for those have been established long ago, people just insist
> on taking 1 week Java courses and believe this replaces proper training and
> experience.

Close. Most employers insist on sending their consultants on 1 week training courses and then pass them off as experts. I'm sure most consultants would love the chance to study and train properly but the current business world does not support that. If more companies were willing to retain and train their own staff instead of outsourcing maybe the skill level in the industry would be higher.