Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:12:10 +1100

"Joe Weinstein" <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com> wrote in message news:400DC795.7070804_at_bea.com...

> Well, sure. I have done so, in fact. The stupidities are legion. Many of these
> applications are ridiculous 'ports' of 70's era COBOL/ISAM applications to
> 'client-server' by simply swapping in row-by-row cursor fetches to the DBMS
> instead of the previous ISAM call.

Bingo! Worse: in many "sophisticated" instances, these "ports" end up creating instances of classes (objects), where the row-by-row fetch is replaced by a discrete random access SQL in a class method.

Complete with an "iterator" class that calls the method for EVERY single object registered. Invariably, these iterator classes are used to implement set group operations. A task that the database engine itself is many orders of magnitude more efficient at realizing.

And the list of stupid AND moronic "port" designs goes on and on...

> (as I've said) puts the sawmills where the trees are, not in the client. However,
> client-server is dead, at least to the extent that now everyone in the company

Minor correction: two-tier client-server is dead. Multi-tier is STILL client-server! Not that I agree: now that we finally have the gear (CPU and memory) and network bandwidth to make two-tier viable, what does this industry go and do? It kills it. Brilliant...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto