Re: Hmmm, it's starting....

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2004 17:48:29 -0800

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<400cff47$0$14482$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1074583088.663424_at_yasure...
>
> > If what he said was true I'd agree with him but it isn't. The fact is
> > that there was word about 10i long ago. It was all over the trade press.
>
> So was 11i, 12i and a lot of others. We even had the "what is the letter for the
> next version of Oracle" competition! So what? Since when does ANY of
> that mean the price of fish?

If something is hot enough, you don't have to advertise. You make it hot, among other ways, through the trade press.

> Oracle officially announced 10g beta program when it was almost over.
> I don't give two hoots what the trade press says, I go for what
> Oracle says. That simple. And there is nothing to add to that.

Well, a lot can be said against the trade press, but completely dismissing them... I have to be with Daniel here.

> Last: Software makers usually do not sit and wait for customers to
> knock on the door asking for beta programs. Name one case other than
> the Oracle current one where that was so. What they do is announce
> it through their marketing channels and sites, then ask for submissions
> from beta testers. That did NOT happen here.

I think divorcement from marketing might be a good idea, once the requirements are known.

> > So lets be clear about this ... Oracle didn't make this a secret anywhere.
>
> YES it did. Prove by Oracle's own doco where did they ask for submissions,
> when and how. There was NOT a single shred of that anywhere other than to
> the people that were directly contacted.

I kinda wish they would announce when I can get cd's for things that are already certified. And is there a release date anywhere for 10g database? News and Events on metalink seems to think 9iR2 is hot stuff.

> > To put it through its paces. The last thing they want is people that
> > like to live on the bleeding edge implementing solutions with Beta
> > software and we both know that would happen.
>
> That has never happened. If anything, those "people" use OLD versions
> of Oracle, not new ones. As complained SO MANY TIMES in public here
> and everywhere else. Well known fact and NEVER was it a concern.

Some would argue those old versions of Oracle _were_ beta's :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/business/news_mz1b19phone.html