Connection Issue with Microsoft SQL using ODBC

From: France <france.macdonald_at_usa.xerox.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2004 14:13:57 -0800

My employer has left me with an oracle server running on solaris for which I have not received a great deal of training for.

I am trying to link in a table from an SQL server and am unable to do so.

I modify the tnsnames.ora file and add my remote host:

CATCHERSMIT.ENG.MC.XEROX.COM =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = XX.XX.XX.XX)(PORT = YYYY))     )
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = CATCHERSMIT ))
 (HS = OK)
 )

I then go into oracle enterprise manager and create a link using the CATCHERSMIT as the Name,

I then enter in a fixed user, and password, and create the link.

I set the service name to be the SID specified in the tnsnames.ora

Then I open the link and test it, and get:

"The database link is not active"

I have 2 questions.
1) am I doing anything obviously wrong
2) How would one go about debugging this (even if you see something wrong, please let me know.) Are there log files that would provide more information? Can I turn on more advanced error reporting???

Thanks,
Francine Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 16:13:57 CST