Re: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:54:35 GMT

Christian Ruediger wrote:

> I've est up the Oracle DB 8.1.7 on Sun SOLARIS
> Now I am Trying to create a new DB manually as described in
> the Administrators Guide.
> I have set the environment variables ORACLE_HOME and
> ORACLE_SID
> I logged in as user SYSTEM , on the SUN-System i am logged
> in as oracle-user.
>
> when i try to connect vio sqlplus I get the following message:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> Can anybody help me?

Generally means you have not 'started' the instance. Or the instance could not be started because you do not have the kernel (semaphores and shared memory) properly configured.

Try the following sequence from the unix prompt:

sqlplus /nolog
  connect / as sysdba
  startup
  exit

If that works, then please plan on spending some time in the "Concepts" and "Database Administration" manuals found at http://docs.oracle.com

HTH
/Hans Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 09:54:35 CST