Re: Career path of a ORACLE DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:34:15 -0800

John wrote:

> Thanks for sharing - both here in this NG and privately to my E-mail
> address.
>
> If you are working for a big corporation, you are expected to climb
> the corporate ladder, yes? If you do your job well, you get promoted.
> Where do you promote an ORACLE DBA to? DBA manager, maybe. And then?
> Some kind of IT manager or director, maybe. So eventually, you will
> end up doing management.
>
> If you are really, really good with ORACLE and have to stomach to deal
> with ORACLE pretty much every moment of your waking hours, you might
> become a high-end ORACLE consultant. Or you can write books or
> lecture. But relatively few people can make it to this state. Let's
> just say there are only so many people who can join the rank of ORACLE
> elite like Mr. Kyte. So these elites are exceptions rather than the
> rule.
>
> The majority of ORACLE professionals will be working for companies,
> big and samll. You want to grow. People expect you to grow. So how do
> you grow as an ORACLE DBA? Wouldn't it be kind of funny, it you work
> as an ORACLE DBA for 15, 20 years for the same company? Probably can
> not find such person at the moment, since the DBA position was
> probably created only 15, 20 years ago. How valuable to the company
> can you be if you stay on the position as a DBA for 15, 20 years?
> Please don't feel offended if you happen to be in such position. I am
> just pondering what to do with my career next. Do you think an DBA can
> ever be more valuable to a company than a manager? I have some
> negative feelings about management though.
>

> John

You grow by continually improving your skill set.

Lets forget the corporate environment and re-ask your question from the perspective of any other recognized "profession."

What does a physician do for advancement? An attorney? An engineer? A CPA or accountant?

The answer is the same. If being a DBA is just a job you should go find something you really enjoy. If you look forward to the job ... then you work to perfect your skills and enjoy learning new techniques.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu